Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Favourite Hip-Hop Samples Vol. 2


Hello there, I'd like to take this opportunity to share some more of my favourite Hip-Hop samples with ya! Ingest some of this delicious music below and you will earn my utmost respect and admiration. Before that, you may wish to check out the previous volume here.

ORIGINAL: Earth, Wind & Fire - Imagination

Can't tell you how much I love this song. Pure emotion in that falsetto, together with some funky bass and emphatic horns.

SAMPLE: Lushlife (feat Camp Lo) - Another Word for Paradise


Like I've just woken up and opened the curtains to glorious sunshine. Feel good Hip-Hop at it's best.

ORIGINAL: Gentle Giant - Funny Ways


Funnily enough, I listened to Gentle Giant's self titled debut that features this track before I heard it used elsewhere. I even thought to myself that a decent producer could do something with this.

SAMPLE: Madvillain - Strange Ways


Credit to Madlib for picking out the 70's prog rock. Doom spits over the vocal and melody snippets on their classic collaborative album 'Madvillainy'.

ORIGINAL: Billy Brooks - Forty Days


Just. Listen. To. This. Trumpet.

SAMPLE: A Tribe Called Quest - Luck of Lucien


You. Should. Know.

ORIGINAL: O'Donel Levy - We've Only Just Begun


This is crazy, we have a sample of a cover. Hey Carpenters, consider your song drastically improved.

SAMPLE: Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother


From the debut EP 'All Souled Out', Pete Rock provides CL Smooth with an expertly formed example of his signature sound. And now as a tribute to Pete's cousin...

ORIGINAL: Aretha Franklin - Young, Gifted and Black


Sample appears at 1:49 but you'd be silly to skip Aretha.

SAMPLE: Heavy D & the Boyz - Yes Y'All


RIP big man x

1 comment:

  1. Nice, that Strange Ways beat is easily one of my favorite uses of a sample ever.

    ReplyDelete