Saturday, December 10, 2011

STREAM: Chushi and Nipple Tapes

AlbumArt

I can't say I know much about this project or who's behind it, but I do know that I'm really liking what I'm hearing. In short, this release is a foray into the world of heavily sample-based music, which is a type of music I admit I'm sort of a sucker for. Still, I don't think you need to be a plunderphonics buff to enjoy this stuff. Sure, these songs are pretty abstract, but ultimately I find the sounds and overall aesthetic to be really pleasurable. It isn't without its relatively accessible moments too; beat-driven tracks like "dvre" and "pls" make for some nice grooves, and the former even reminds me of an odder version of something J Dilla might have done. This set of ten tracks spans just under nine minutes (8:52), so as you could imagine these songs are very short. So short, they feel less like songs and more like ideas or sketches, but that doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable to listen to. Stream them all below.

No comments:

Post a Comment