Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Favourite Hip-Hop Samples: Vol. 3



Whatup! Haven't done some of these for a little while so I've got some absolute gems here if I do say so myself.

ORIGINAL: New Birth - Honeybee



SAMPLE: Wu Tang Clan - Clan In Da Front



God knows how or why soulful 70's outfit New Birth came up with these dark opening notes on Honeybee, but thank the lord they did, and more so that the RZA got hold of them.

ORIGINAL: Wes Montgomery - Mi Cosa



SAMPLE: Pharoahe Monch - The Light



Very impressive work from Diamond D to craft out such a sweet hook from a few delicate jazz guitar licks. Sample appears at 1:12

ORIGINAL: The Jacksons - This Place Hotel



SAMPLE: Charles Hamilton - Life to the Fullest



Sometimes the original doesn't need too much alteration. Flesh out the drums a little and ya good to go.

ORIGINAL: Eddie Harris - Lovely Is Today



SAMPLE: Gang Starr - 2 Deep



Like a lot of jazz tracks I'll feature, I recommend listening past the initial sample because it improves as it progresses.

ORIGINAL: Alessi Brothers - Oh Lori



SAMPLE: Cities Aviv - Meet Me on Montrose



Yeah I can't be the only one that thought this was a female vocalist. Beautiful none the less and wonderfully chopped up for Cities Aviv on Meet Me on the Montrose.

No comments:

Post a Comment