Friday, January 20, 2012

OPINION: I Like Childish Gambino


Donald Glover is a typically lauded guy. Often praised for his acting, stand-up, writing, or for his work with Derrick Comedy. His music career doesn't share the same distinction or praise. It seems to me that he's one of the most divisive artists in rap music today with virtually all either loathing or loving his music. Saying "Childish Gambino" to the wrong person can start a passionate debate on the merits of his music. I can't speak to why these people feel this way, but I think a lot of people have a hard time taking him seriously because of his day job. Actors turned rappers are typically given a hard road, but the hate towards Glover seems to go deeper than that. Something about the guy strikes people to the core of their being. I'm not here to tell you you're wrong, I just want to get my opinion down in a written format.

The thing that appeals to me most Gambino is how energetic he is, he sounds to me like he's having fun... and that's important. I need music to be fun sometimes, I can't listen to the soul-less depression of Joy Division every day and lead anything resembling a normal life. Perhaps my raw enjoyment of Glover's music can best be summed up with a line from "L.E.S." in which he raps: "She's got ironic tattoos on her back/ that ain't ironic bitch I love Rugrats". Surely annoying to some, but for someone who has an unhealthy obsession to pop culture his constant references are seen as a challenge. What "band with an animal name" is he talking about exactly? Maybe that's considered weird, but I sincerely do this. Note to self: spend less time on Rap Genius.

This is probably the shortest Opinion post in YPOIW history and I apologize for that, but what I won't apologize for is the opinion itself. Actually I think I will...  I'm so sorry if I offended your sensibilities with my shitty opinions. Haters gonna hate.

3 comments:

  1. You bringing up Joy Division makes me wonder...are there any really depressing hip hop albums?

    ReplyDelete
  2. XXX perhaps? The experience as a whole seemed a little upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. XXX is the best I can think of, good call.

    ReplyDelete