Monday, February 6, 2012

WRUB #9: Weekend Update Edition


Lana Del Rey remains a divisive force in music, that much has not changed. She began her long journey from relevant musician to Internet meme this week by being mocked on SNL's Weekend Update. In other news: atonal and off pitch singing is now known as LDRing, no word yet as of this writing if Webster is adding it to their next addition. Come on Internet, if we can turn Tebowing and Obamamania into words we can accomplish anything! 

What's everyone listening to?

Alexander Borg (@HelloAlexxander): In preparation for Paralytic Stalks, I've been revisiting of Montreal's catalogue and let me tell you Cherry Peel is considerably different than the rest of their work!  Also Drive's soundtrack is the best thing to ever happen to me.

Austin K (@AustinKirley): Much like Mark, I too have been spinning Cloud Nothings, as well as another new album, Pop. 1280's The Horror. I also picked up an Akai MPD of my very own, so my music consumption has been a tad low this week.

Danny Spiteri (@dannyspiterijr): My week has been all about the early days of experimental rock, with The Velvet Underground, Can, Brian Eno, and The United States of America all keeping me satisfied.

Jack Hayter (@gonnahayt): I've been enjoying the new John Talabot record, some underground hip-hop from Serengeti and some classic soul from Minnie Riperton.

Kyle Shoemaker (@_Shoey): Why didn't anyone tell me that Cloud Nothings wasn't a chillwave project? Albini produced, messy records are my bread and butter. Otherwise I've been listening to Heems, The Hold Steady, and The Special Goodness' first album. 

Mark Gillis (@Mark__Gillis): I normally don't like the skramz but this week I've been loving the new Cloud Nothings LP, Attack On Memory. I think it might end up being a year end favourite of mine. Besides that I've been listening to a ton of Buck 65 because I saw him live this past week, he is one eccentric guy.

Steve Jones (@vestenet): I've been having a lot of fun with Pepe Deluxé's Queen of the Wave and Heems' Nehru Jackets. The Drive soundtrack makes me wish I owned a car.  I also surprisingly like the new Cloud Nothings, but I only listened to it once, because I'm an asshole.

TJ Duane (@DallasShalDune): I've been in a weird, manic mood. Kind of ying and yang. I've mixed a lot of aggressive Fucked Up, especially the zodiac singles, with the great melodies of Caribou. "Melody Day" is such an amazing song.

No comments:

Post a Comment