Thursday, June 14, 2012

NORTHERN EXPOSURE: The Polaris Prize


Hey folks, I’ve a had a busy week this week so my post is going to be short and sweet this week, but it won’t be any less important.

Today marks the announcement of the long list for the Polaris Music Prize. That is, they’ll release a list of 40 album as voted on by Canadian media members that are deemed to be the best Canadian albums, based solely on artistic merit that were released from June 1, 2011 to May 31, 2012.

Later in the July, that list will get whittled down to 10 albums and then a winner will be announced in September.

As a huge fan of Canadian music I think this is the most important prize in Canadian music. Nothing else really even come close to touching the process that is gone through to decide on these albums. With past winners like Arcade Fire, Owen Pallett and Caribou I’m sure this years winner will be amazing.

So, here are 10 albums that I hope to see on the long list. I’m sure some of them won’t even be close, but I can dream, right?

BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNG2
Born Gold - Bodysongs
Dog Day - Deformer
Fucked Up - David Comes To Life
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Patrick Watson - Adventures In Your Own Backyard
PS I Love You - Death Dreams
Rich Aucoin - We're All Dying To Live
Trust - TRST
Yamantaka // Sonic Titan - YT//ST

1 comment:

  1. are Death Dreams and Celebration Rock too new? I know there's a cut off point but I don't claim to know what it is.

    ReplyDelete