Monday, March 12, 2012

WRUB #14: Freak Monkeys Edition


Westboro Baptist Church have finally done something sensible and decided to protest Radiohead's insanely high ticket prices. This protest included church members burning $100 dollar bills, but ticket buyers were confused as the money was purple and believed to be called "Phelps-Bucks".  In an official statement, WBC referred to Radiohead as "freak monkeys with mediocre tunes" and further went on to say that music should only be enjoyed by God. Thom Yorke responded on Twitter by saying that "Kid A is actually a gay robot".

What's everyone listening to?

Alexander Borg (@HelloAlexxander): This week I devoted my listening time to exploring the evolution of of Montreal from psychedelic twee-popkids to sex-crazed hedonists, Julia Holter's uncanny ability to use modern effects to evoke ancient feelings, and the experimental pop of The Unicorns magnum opus Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?

Austin K (@AustinKirley): SURPRISE: Austin is still listening to too much black metal. This week's bands include Ulver, Blut Aus Nord, and Dødheimsgard.

Danny Spiteri (@dannyspiterijr): I was on sort of an "oddball female singer" kick this week, primarily by listening to a lot of Nico, but also returning to Joanna Newsom's first album and checking out the new Soap&Skin album Narrow. Big K.R.I.T.'s new mixtape is also really good.

Jack Hayter (@gonnahayt): Recommended by Flying Lotus, I've been listening to a new album by an artist called Taz Arnold. I'm still trying to get my head around what it is.

Kyle Shoemaker (@_Shoey): I got my ticket to Radiohead this week, so I've been not listening to them at all. I'm just so busy with Mass Effect 3.

Mark Gillis (@Mark__Gillis): This week I've been on a 2012 kick, so I've been listening to new albums from Trust, Said The Whale, Memoryhouse and Bear In Heaven. I have to say that Trust is the best of the bunch.

Steve Jones (@vestenet): Julia Holter continues to be amazing.  The debut album from Trust is also just the right kind of synth pop for my ears, but I'm still working my way through Andrew Bird's latest effort.

TJ Duane (@DallasShalDune): Radiohead. Live.

TTK (@TelepathicKid): This week I've been reaching back into the back catalogue of The Flaming Lips, the solo record of Black Moth Super Rainbow member The Seven Fields of Aphelion, and the new Clark album Iradelphic.

1 comment: