Tuesday, February 28, 2012

WRUB #12: Epic Edition


Death Grips shocked many this week by signing to Epic, which is a "major" label. Which means that yes: Death Grips is now on the same label as the Glee cast. In response, YPOIW has decided that Ex-Military is no longer our 2nd favorite album of 2011 and that they no longer exist to us.

What's everyone listening to?

Alexander Borg (@HelloAlexxander): This week I revisited Beat Happening's magnum opus You Turn Me On and my opinion of it has made a total 180! The reluctant drumming, flat delivery, and overall tweeness is positively charming. I also listened to Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven on vinyl for the first time and it was a religious experience.

Austin K (@AustinKirley): This week, Austin has been listening to loads of black metal, specifically early black metal such as Bathory, Hellhammer, and Hatred.

Danny Spiteri (@dannyspiterijr): I spent the first few days of my week in a largely electronic mood, with releases like Actress's Splazsh, James Blake's early EPs, and Shlohmo's Vacation EP keeping me sustained. The weekend, however, saw me indulging in some jangly pop from Galaxie 500 and R.E.M.

Jack Hayter (@gonnahayt): I'm seeing St Vincent tonight so I've been listening to plenty of her. New York MC J-Live and The Pharcyde both bumpin' hard too.

Kyle Shoemaker (@_Shoey): I was listening to the new Hodgy Beats EP until I discovered that PS I Love You put out a free "sessions" album. I've decided that this compilation is among my favorite things to ever happen.

Mark Gillis (@Mark__Gillis): This week I've been checking out new albums from Plants and Animals, as well as Phèdre. I've also been listening to Public Strain by Women in memoriam of Chris Reimer, RIP.

Steve Jones (@vestenet): As of late, I am obsessed with Joe Hisaishi's soundtracks, particularly those for Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I kind of wish Grimes made a better album, but Field Music's Plumb is still amazing.

TJ Duane (@DallasShalDune): TJ watched the NBA All Star Weekend, enjoyed the Oscars, and has been dungeon crawling through Ocarina of Time 3D.

TTK (@TelepathicKid): Now reporting from university, I've been listening to the amazing album that is Zammuto's self titled, the new Dirty Three, and Lapalux's When You're Gone EP.

No comments:

Post a Comment